Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Phase One: In which we rickroll a desk

I am, by nature, a mischievous sort.

The little jackass kid who, out of sight, bends the garden hose, cutting off the water until you look into it to see why the water's not flowing? Me.

One of a pair of doofuses who hide the teacher's podium? Guilty.

So it really shouldn't come as a surprise that I like messing with people from time to time. Because it's been run into the ground, I've been rickrolling my cohorts at work.

If you aren't 12 and haven't done this, it's a barely updated version of "Made You Look!"

If you want a detailed explanation of the phenomenon, you can go here.

Right, so even though we all know about how annoying and lame rickrolling is, we like to see how many times we can catch each other with it.

It's hard for me to rickroll my pal Karyne, since she sits right next to me at work. This isn't to say that I haven't done so a number of times, as has she.

We're not that bright sometimes.

But my pal Bonnie works a floor below me, so she can't see me giggling furiously as I send her a link via IM. It goes a little something like this (hit it!):

Me: Did you ever watch the Monchichis?

Bonnie: I think so.

Me: Here's the opening: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Bonnie: You suck!

So after a few weeks of this, I realized that I'd pretty much taken it as far as I could.

Until I found out that she was going to be off for a few days.

This, alas, is about as mobile as I get.

This looks like it took a long time, but I assure you, I am far too lazy; my kindergarten craft/MacGyver skills helped get this done in mere minutes.

And Karyne helped with the scissors.

With our supplies ready, we headed down to her desk and redecorated. Like Extreme Makeover Home Edition without the malady of the week. (I talk smack about it, but I watch it and get misty when they help a sick kid. I am a big wuss.)

Too much?

Not too shabby, eh?

Our work finished on a Friday, I had the whole weekend to bask in my awesomositinessitude. On Saturday morning, I put XM 80s on the TV in the living room to listen to some choice tunes with the kids. I usually listen on Sundays (for American Top 40, natch), but I just got the impulse to do it.

Yes.

That song was on.

Rickrolled by God.

I took it as a sign that even God thought rickrolling someone's desk was funny. I already know God is a prankster; it's the only thing that explains my hair.

So I just had to wait until this morning till Bonnie returned.

Me: Welcome back!

Bonnie: SPARKMAN!

Bonnie: May I have a word with you?

She was a good sport about her desk being transformed into a Rick Astley shrine.

Here, she thanks me for my effort:

This doesn't look at all staged.

But, as she reminded me, in the words of William Shakespeare, "revenge is a biznatch."

Truedat.

2 comments:

  1. that was a thing of beauty, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg just saw the ginger kids thing, it just gets better & better. our friends have to keep their daughter from calling some of her schoolmates ginger kids after catching that episode in the background one day.

    ReplyDelete