Thursday, August 07, 2008

Why my son sometimes calls me Dave

My son had finished watching the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie when I had an idea.

"Hey, Brody," I said as I rummaged through the bin of records in the living room, "Check this out." I pulled Chipmunk Punk out and showed it to him. His face lit up as he recognized Alvin, Simon and Theodore on the cover.

We listened to that and then Chipmunk Rock following that. He sat mesmerized, listening to the whole thing. He studied both album covers.

He pointed at Chipmunk Punk and told me, "Those are the old-school Chipmunks." I had to ask him to repeat that because I wasn't sure that I heard him right.

But I had. He seems to prefer the old-school Chipmunk design, apparently.

He can also be heard running around the house singing "I Love Rock N' Roll" in his best chipmunk voice from time to time. It's weird how much like me he is. Kinda scary when I think about it.

For him.