Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Ballad of Double Boy

I get home from work, and my wife shows me my 4-year-old son's writing from earlier in the day: many pages of various words. Generally speaking, anytime he writes, chief among the words are variations of "Pixar," "THX" and "Lucasfilm Ltd."

Yes, he's obsessed with Pixar movies. Can you tell?

Now this part is totally my fault. He was sitting next to me, and I didn't notice that he was being quiet, partially because I was tired, and partially because I was watching Battle of the Network Stars. I love my video collection sometimes.

I turned to say something to him when I saw that he had a pen in his hand.

"Brody Alexander!"

"No, I'm Double Boy."

"Huh?"

"Double Boy." He held out his arm. "See? W-W-W..."

Sure enough, for some reason, my son decided he'd be a walking billboard for THX by writing www.thx.com on his left arm.

The audience is writing on himself.

"Oh boy," I said. "Go show your mom why you're Double Boy."

As he hopped off the chair, I noticed he gave himself stylized kneecap tattoos as well.
Almost looks like a Fred Hembeck drawing.

Moral of the story: Beware of quiet kids. They're up to something.