Thursday, January 05, 2006

Long Title: Do I Have to Do This All Over Again?

I'm a bit excited this week. For starters, "Scrubs" is back on Tuesdays, and tonight, a new episode of "The Office."

But it gets better, cats and kittens.

Soon, perhaps today, the next disc in my Netflix queue will arrive.

I don't always watch the movies in the order in which I'm going to review them, so I've already seen the H and J movies. Heck, I've already gotten the N movie. The G movie sits on my own shelf o' movies, and the next movie, the F movie, seems interesting after watching the first 8 minutes.

As many of these are horror movies, I have to watch them while my son is napping, which is not that often these days.

Anyhow, the imminent arrival I'm awaiting is the Ray Dennis Steckler classic, "The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies."

This movie shot to the top of my must-see list as soon as I learned of it. I was tantalized by brief clips of it in "It Came From Hollywood."

I tracked it down in the days I tried to watch every horror movie I could find -- junior high. One of the local video stores had a dusty copy sitting on the shelf, so I talked my parents into renting it for me, and I took it home, eager to see what was billed as "The World's First Monster Musical."

See, this came out before "Xanadu."

As the movie started, I was impressed by the use of silence. Usually horror movies were loud and spooky-sounding from the beginning. It was only once people started talking and I couldn't hear them that I realized the tape was defective.

And of course, with such an odd movie, it's not like they had more than one copy. I had to settle for some other celluloid crapfest instead and have now reached my 30s without having seen it.

Technically, this arrived last week -- I was ready to pop it in and check it out. Then I noticed the large crack in the disc.

Fie! Stymied again.

So now I wait for the mail to be delivered.

Wait, wait, wait...

No comments:

Post a Comment