Friday, November 24, 2006

Dumb Things I've Done (7 in an occasional series)

Today, we have a guest sharing their dumb moment. He doesn't know he's doing it, but that's the beauty of the Internet, right?

This time, I'm on the other end of the dumbness in question. My friend and I were in yearbook class discussing some pressing issue (having absolutely nothing to do with the yearbook), and a carrot-topped classmate joined in the conversation.

I said something he thought was stupid, which prompted the following comment:

"Dude, you're such a Polack!"

My friend and I looked at each other, mystified, not because a classmate used a disparaging term for one of Polish descent, but because both of us were plainly aware that I was not, in the strictest terms, Polish.

"What?" I asked.

"You're such a Polack."

"How do you figure?" I asked.

"You just, uh, you just are," he said, his face getting perilously close to the same color as his hair.

"I'm not even Polish, moron."

"So? You're still a Polack."

My friend decided to spell it out for him, explaining that one generally had to be Polish to be called a Polack. I don't think he actually believed us or understood the distinction.

Sheesh. Redheads...

No comments:

Post a Comment