Saturday, February 02, 2008

Just like starting over

So I finally decided to restring my guitar so I play like a lefty playing a left-handed guitar, as opposed to how I've been doing it, which is to just take a regular guitar and play it upside down.

This, by the way, is a good way to get freakish stares at Guitar Center.

When I was first learning on my brother's guitar, I almost gave up until I realized that I played air guitar like a lefty but was trying to play real guitar like a righty. I flipped it over, and started learning from there.

There are a few drawbacks. For starters, I popped about 44.8 billion high E strings trying to rock out with a Nirvana song because those took the brunt of my ham-handed strumming.

I learned to rein it in (I'm cheap if nothing else), but I'm for crap at actual leadwork because frets and strings that are easy to reach for most players are on the other end for me. Kurt Cobain was a lefty, but I don't know if he restrung his guitar (and I'm too lazy to look it up).

So now I have to take all the chords I've been playing for 15 years and flip them over in my head to play them the right way. It's a pain in the ass so far, but in a way, it's sorta like playing Guitar Hero all the way through on Easy, and then starting over on medium.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment