Tuesday, October 04, 2005

At least it's shorter than "Hit Me in the Head With the Dodgeball"

I really should've done this yesterday, but I was trying to keep up with my son Brody, who, because he is 2, has more potential energy than a truckload of Red Bull.

Nicolas Cage and his wife welcomed their son to the world Monday. His name is Kal-el Coppola Cage.

Yes, he shares Superman's birth name. If I may geek out for a sec, I've seen it spelled in most news stories with a lower-case "e" rather than the usual upper-case. However, to be entirely accurate, Superman's name was originally given as Kal-L. It wasn't until the 1942 George Lowther novel "Superman" that it was changed to Kal-el with a lower-case "e." Eventually in the comics, it became Kal-El, and that's how it's been ever since.

I don't know if it's still the case, but at one point, Kal-El was said to be Kryptonese for "star child."

I'm just wondering how he talked his wife into going along with the name. When the topic of names came up when Jen was pregnant, I said I had a few ideas.

"Well, we're not naming him 'Kal-El' or anything like that," she informed me. I hadn't actually planned on doing so, but I was impressed that she knew what Superman's real name was.

I was shooting for Zod. Zod Sparkman -- tell me that's not cool.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:38 PM

    Don't worry, there's always hope for Zod Sparkman. I might reproduce someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:21 PM

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403341125/qid%3D1128492934/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-8896195-4209602
    check this out. I thought it was pretty funny who the author is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:07 PM

    Josh, please! Please have a child and name him Zod so Jeff will stop threatening me with it.

    ReplyDelete