Monday, December 08, 2008

A movie that haunts me

Last night, I watched a movie that I don't think I'd seen since it was in the theaters: Deadly Friend. It's a typical love story: supergenius boy who creates a pet robot named BB falls in love with abused girl and reanimates her with his robot's brain after her dad accidentally kills her, only to find that she takes revenge on her tormentors.

I saw this in the theater with my dad, who I could usually con into taking me to see horror movies. But one scene in this flick haunts me, and not because it's scary. Here's a link to the video, all cued up: http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=1sZLlI4i2LM#t=5m39s.

Right when the main character, Paul, whips back the blanket, everyone in the theater gasped, which startled me a little. My dad thought it actually scared me, and to this day, should the film come up, will laugh and say "BB," in an approximation of the robot's voice.

The movie holds up fairly well for what it is, up until the ending. I'd post the video here, but it makes even less sense out of context than it does in context. I'm curious if the ending was tacked on after polling a test audience or something.

Anyhow, here's the trailer. I just sent it back to Netflix, so you may be the lucky person to get it next.