Friday, August 19, 2005

Norm!

Finally made it out to Santa Rosa last weekend to check out the Charles M. Schulz Museum. The last time I was out in that area, the museum was still an empty lot.

I had a double reason (triple, if you count the cool candy store we also went to that day) to want to go. Not only am I a big Schulz fan, but Michael Jantze, creator of The Norm, was the museum's cartoonist-in-residence that day.

The Norm is one of my favorite strips. If you haven't already done so, go check it out. Subscribe. It's good fun.

Despite the fact I've met Mr. Jantze a few times at comic conventions, I was still my normal case-of-the-stuttering-duhs self.

He was giving pointers to some of the younger patrons and was signing books and doing sketches. I was going to ask for one of Norm, but then I had a better idea.

In the strip, Norm has a friend who's a huge Star Wars fan -- he dressed as a Wookiee when they waited in line to see The Phantom Menace.

So, in honor of my little Wookiee, I asked for a sketch of Chris the Wookiee.

Behold!



It's really cool and more than made up for the four-hour drive that should've taken less than three. Between that and the candy store, it was a pretty good day.

Oh, and the museum was pretty cool, too. Lots of original Peanuts art, which was really neat to see. They even have some round-headed kid out front, too.



He doesn't say much, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment